This database provides information on promising practices – programs and policy initiatives in healthy eating and active living (HEAL) and tobacco control that have shown to be effective for the Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander community. What is a Promising Practice? Our vision of a promising practice is an intervention meeting the following criteria:
- Demonstrated positive impact on the community or communities it is intended to serve;
- Strives for involvement, active participation, and empowerment of communities;
- Specific objectives that are fully or partially met, according to assessed results or lessons learned;
- Evidence-based measure of effectiveness, whether quantitative or qualitative
- Potential for replication in the same community and/or adaptation for other communities.
PROMISING PRACTICES The Promising Practices have been organized into four core areas:
- (1)Assessments, Data, and Research,
- (2) Capacity Building & Infrastructure Development
- (3) Program, and
- (4) Policy. The links below provide descriptions of each of the promising practices.
Assessments, Data, and Research
Capacity Building & Infrastructure Development
- Developing Culturally-Tailored Cessation Curriculum for Chinese and Vietnamese Smokers
- Culturally Adapted Smoking Cessation Intervention for Chinese and Korean Smokers
- Eliminating Tobacco Disparities Among Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Communities
- Creating Voluntary Smoke-Free Apartments in Central Los Angeles
- Eliminating Tobacco Disparities Among Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islanders Through Policy Change: the Role of Community-Based Organizations
- Youth-Led Tobacco Prevention: Lessons Learned for Engaging Southeast Asian American Youth
- Moving Communities Toward Policy Change: APPEAL’s 4-Prong Policy Change Model
Promising Practices Matrix
The Promising Practices listed above have been organized into a matrix. Click here to download.
More about Promising Practices
- APPEAL is currently in the process of reviewing existing promising practices and will be adding more to this website on a rolling basis. An online submission option for promising practices will also be made available on this page in the near future.
- If you have or know of a promising practice that you wish to be included here and meets the criteria listed above, would like more information about our review process, or have any questions or feedback about this page, please email@example.com